Views
Helpful
Replies

creating a new stack with existing switch in production network

Milan Peyrac
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am curious to find out some further information for creating a stack with an existing production switch within our network.

The exisiting production switch is a - WS-C3750X-48T-L (standalone switch) and want to create a stack with a newly purchased WS-C3750X-12S-E-RF.

I understand we requie the same code version to be running on both switches? If code versions are different will I need to match them up prior to phyically cabling to existing switch and powering on?

Is it possible to not have to configure the new switch via console and have someone directly cable (stack) it to the existing 3750x production switch?

How can I ensure that when I cable up the new switch and power it on it will behave predicatable and join the current production switch as SLAVE and download configuration and system wide settings?

We want to implement this configuraiton with no downtime to the current produciton 3750x switch.

Thanks in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The exisiting production switch is a - WS-C3750X-48T-L (standalone switch) and want to create a stack with a newly purchased WS-C3750X-12S-E-RF.

You mean you want to add a 3750X-12S to your existing 3750X-48T?

I understand we requie the same code version to be running on both switches? If code versions are different will I need to match them up prior to phyically cabling to existing switch and powering on?

That is correct.  The IOS and the license feature set must be the same.  Power down the new switch.  Cable up the stacking module and power up the new switch.  Never power up and attach a new switch to an existing switch stack.  If you power up the switch and attach the stacking cable the existing switch stack will reboot.

View solution in original post

Hello,

That's correct you do not need to configure the new switch. It is as easy as
plugging in the cables.

For a better practices:

Change the priority of the master to 15. This is not disruptive. You just have to
make sure that the switch you are adding has a low priority so
it doesn't accidentally become a master (by default is 1).

ProductionSW(config)#switch 1 priority 15

Power off the new switch. Connect the new switch to the stack.

Verify that the retainer screws are adequately tightened and fully
seated against the connector shell. Make sure both retainer screws are
tightened the same amount.

Power on the newly added switch. Verify with show switch detail.

Configuration will be sync with the new switch and ready to configure the ports.

Concerns:

Licenses running on both switches? I am asking because if you have the 3750x-48 with
LAN BASE I would like to mention that a Mixed feature Switch stack is not
supported. A Switch Running a LAN Base license can only be stacked with another
Switch running LAN Base license only.

The 3750x-12S-E has ip services so the stack can not be created.

Verify that you have at least ipbase running on the 3750x-48 with a switch#show license

Haihua

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You mean you want to add a 3750X-12S to your existing 3750X-48T?

That is correct.  The IOS and the license feature set must be the same.  Power down the new switch.  Cable up the stacking module and power up the new switch.  Never power up and attach a new switch to an existing switch stack.  If you power up the switch and attach the stacking cable the existing switch stack will reboot.

Hi Leo,

Yes the 3750X-12S will be added to the existing 3750X-48T...

So the way I understand this is

1. Via Console confirm 3750X-12S is running same code as current production switch 3750X-48T and provision for stack.

2. Make sure new 3750 is powered down and cable it to existing switch with stack cables. (Production switch can remain on)

3. Power on new switch

What do I need to do on existing production switch to make it participate in a stack and confirm it is "master"?

Cheers

Hello,

That's correct you do not need to configure the new switch. It is as easy as
plugging in the cables.

For a better practices:

Change the priority of the master to 15. This is not disruptive. You just have to
make sure that the switch you are adding has a low priority so
it doesn't accidentally become a master (by default is 1).

ProductionSW(config)#switch 1 priority 15

Power off the new switch. Connect the new switch to the stack.

Verify that the retainer screws are adequately tightened and fully
seated against the connector shell. Make sure both retainer screws are
tightened the same amount.

Power on the newly added switch. Verify with show switch detail.

Configuration will be sync with the new switch and ready to configure the ports.

Concerns:

Licenses running on both switches? I am asking because if you have the 3750x-48 with
LAN BASE I would like to mention that a Mixed feature Switch stack is not
supported. A Switch Running a LAN Base license can only be stacked with another
Switch running LAN Base license only.

The 3750x-12S-E has ip services so the stack can not be created.

Verify that you have at least ipbase running on the 3750x-48 with a switch#show license

Haihua

Hey Haihua Rong,

The license on our existing switch is LANbase - while the new switch is in fact IPSERVICES. Does this mean we will not be able to stack unless we upgrade the license on the existing production switch?

Hello,

A mixed stack of LAN Base switch with IP Base or IP Services features set is not supported but in the meantime we have a workaround, your existing switch has a temp ipbase or ipservices license and we can activate it for 8.5 weeks. During that time we need to purchase the permanent license and install it without having to reboot the switch (keeping the same license level).

You can verify with a show license

Procedure:

1 -  WS-C3750X-48T-L(config)#license boot  level ipservices (or ipbase).

2-   WS-C3750X-48T-L(config)#end

3 -  WS-C3750X-48T-L# wr

4 -  WS-C3750X-48T-L# reload

At this point you can add the new switch into the stack.

Or let's make it easier, you can downgrade to lanbase the 3750x-12S-E switch :-)

Haihua

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is it possible to not have to configure the new switch via console and have someone directly cable (stack) it to the existing 3750x production switch?

You can pre-provision the new switch into the new stack before you cable up.  You can configure the interfaces well in advance so as to save time. 

Milan Peyrac
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys! both of you have been very helpful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco