Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating IOS Switch standard

networker101
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have been asked to create a standard Cisco IOS switch build for my organisation.

We have mainly 3560 placed all over Europe, with different configs, IOS version, passwords and so on.

How would I go about creating such a IOS build and controlling it with spreadsheets, with the same IOS version, passwords, VLANs (data & Voice) etc

If you can some examples of how this can be achieved.

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks

4 Replies 4

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

I did somthing similar a while back, but I used a perl / CGI to do it. Created a little web page that gathered the required information and just read in the "Standard" stuff from a text file.

To do it with a spreadsheet wouldn't be much more difficult.

Most things about a switch build are the same; Uplink port configs, user-port configs, logging settings, spanning-tree features, Qos, etc. Really, the only "Variable" would be hostname, Subnet, and maybe port count (24 vs 48 port).

Once you pick a VLAN to use for voice and Data, really, it's just plug and play.

I'd start by building a switch exactly how you want all of them to look. Take that config, paste it into Excel or somthing. I leave a few rows free at the top for "Variable" information.

Once you get it into spreadsheet, just go to the lines with the variable data, and turn it into a formula to fill in your variable. Like this (in Excel):

=CONCATENATE('hostname', A1)

Then, whatever you stick in cell A1, will end up in the hostname command.

Once you get your "variable" lines defined in the config, all you need to do is enter the info in your variable section and then copy/ paste the entire config. Don't forget that you need to add the commands that aren't included onto the end of the config like the command to generate RSA keys for SSH or SNMPv3 username.

Hi,

I need to upgrade them one by one. Once we has agreed the standard build i will have to manually login remotly and update the switch.

Thanks

buy this:

http://www.winagents.com/en/products/hyperconf/

its the best... saves me tons of time...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card