cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating VLAN to isolate guest room and stop multicast flooding

IanRees306151
Level 1
Level 1

I recently purchased a BT Youview box but when I stream BT Sport on the YouView box, my SKY Q mini boxes disconnect. I have read that this is because BT Sport uses multicast to broadcast the programs & it floods other devices on my network like Sky Q. I read that a solution is to configure IGMP Snooping on the switch to only send the IPTV data stream to the port that requested it, namely the Youview box, not flooding all devices.
So I bought a Cisco 220-26P which supports VLANS and IGMP Snooping but I don't know how to configure it.
My first attempt was to enable IGMP Snooping (IGMPv2) on VLAN 0 but when I stream BT sport the Sky Q mini boxes still stop. And now I'm stuck.
As it happens the YouView box is in a guest room (GE9) and so ideally I'd like to isolate that port from the rest of the network but allow access to the internet (GE5).
The Cisco has a great web interface but I have tried changing "Port to VLAN" sessions but then have to reset the switch as I lock myself out of internet access! Also not sure whether I should be configuring "Port to VLAN" or "Port VLAN Membership". Also confused about whether the port to my broadband router (GE5) can be on 2 VLANs. Any help in simple steps would be gratefully appreciated.
My network is :-
BT smart Hub Manager
Cisco 220-26P switch
3 x Ubiquiti UniFi AP, AC Lite

1 Reply 1

IanRees306151
Level 1
Level 1

Update: I think I now have a separate VLAN with the Youview box on and access to the port with my BT Homehub on but the Youview box will not connect to the BT Homehub router.  

The network settings on the youview box are as follows:-

IP Address 192.168.1.200

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.1.254

which all worked when everything was on the default VLAN.  Do I need to change these settings and if so how will it reach my BT Homehub ?

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card