Views
Helpful
Replies

Delete vlan.dat from 4948 when in ROMMON

cbuzzard
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -

We've migrating some 2960s to 4948s and apparently copying over the vlan.dat and startup-config doesn't treat the 4948 real well after a reboot.  It's getting memory allocation errors and just loops at booting IOS.  We've since cleared all configs and set to ignore system config but the same problem continues to happen with the error snippet below.  My next guess would be a problem with the vlan.dat file, but you can't get to the cat4000_flash: filesystem from ROMMON.  Are there any other good tricks for this?

Thanks

Chad

SYSTEM INIT: INSUFFICIENT MEMORY TO BOOT THE IMAGE!

%Software-forced reload

VECTOR 700

Buffered messages:

Queued messages:

00:00:17: %SYS-3-LOGGER_FLUSHING: System pausing to ensure console debugging output.

00:00:07: %C4K_IOSMODPORTMAN-4-POWERSUPPLYBAD: Power supply 2 has failed or been turned off

00:00:07: %C4K_IOSMODPORTMAN-4-POWERSUPPLYFANBAD: Fan of power supply 2 has failed

00:00:16: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for type vlan

00:00:17: %SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 1819541504 bytes failed from 0x10497EAC, alignment 8

Pool: Processor  Free: 128743520  Cause: Not enough free memory

Alternate Pool: None  Free: 0  Cause: No Alternate pool

-Process= "VLAN Manager", ipl= 0, pid= 97

-Traceback= 101BDB84 102640B4 10269438 10497EB0 104942F8 ÿ

4 Replies 4

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

what about booting from TFTP?

BR,

Milan

Hi -

The IOS software on the switch is fine, it was booting before without problem.  There is some sort of problem after bringing over the vlan.dat file from a 2960.  I've tried a few times to bring the MGT port up and try booting from TFTP just to rule it out, but I haven't been successful get IP connectivity on the MGT port.  I get physical up and I can see arp resolution correctly when trying to ping, but haven't gotten successful communication yet.  Still working on that piece.

I thought the easiest fix would be to del vlan.dat from cat4000_flash: but the 4948 doesn't let you get to that filesystem when in ROMMON.  That's the trick I'm trying to find.

podhillo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chad,

when you get into the rommon , did we try executing the flash_init, load_helper and then try the 'dir flash:' command.

The following error message clearly shows that it did not like the vlan.dat file.

00:00:17: %SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 1819541504 bytes failed from 0x10497EAC, alignment 8

Pool: Processor  Free: 128743520  Cause: Not enough free memory

Alternate Pool: None  Free: 0  Cause: No Alternate pool

-Process= "VLAN Manager", ipl= 0, pid= 97 ----------------------------------------> vlan manager process id 97 gives you traceback values. A software force crash usually gives you signal 23 and this is correctlable only when you delete the vlan.dat and let the device generate its own vlan.dat and then edit the same and trnafer it through tftp on to the device.

Please let me know if this was helpful.

Regards,

podhillo

Hi -

Thanks for the response, but those commands are not available in ROMMON on this unit and version of SW at least.  They all respond with command "" not found.  The ROMMON ver is 12.2(31) on this 4948.

Thanks

Chad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: