cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleted all the image from the switch, how do i go back, or install the ios image?

monukoshy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I brought a used switch in order to learn, and the very first time i plugged it in, the switch already had multiple vlans created by the previous user. Not sure, but why, i decided to reset the switch to factory reset, in order to pretend to use the switch right out of the box, and configure it.

I wasnt able to delete the vlan.dat file, hence a bit of googling around, someone on the forum suggested to force delete recursively, and delete the image/dat files.

Used the command..

delete /force /recursive flash:

After that

reload

The next output was...

Proceed with reload? [confirm]

*Mar 1 00:13:01.776: %SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested by console. Reload reason: Reload command
Using driver version 1 for media type 2
Base ethernet MAC Address: c8:f9:f9:0c:d3:00
Xmodem file system is available.
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
Initializing Flash...
mifs[2]: 10 files, 1 directories
mifs[2]: Total bytes : 2097152
mifs[2]: Bytes used : 614400
mifs[2]: Bytes available : 1482752
mifs[2]: mifs fsck took 2 seconds.
mifs[3]: 3 files, 1 directories
mifs[3]: Total bytes : 4194304
mifs[3]: Bytes used : 949248
mifs[3]: Bytes available : 3245056
mifs[3]: mifs fsck took 3 seconds.
mifs[4]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[4]: Total bytes : 524288
mifs[4]: Bytes used : 9216
mifs[4]: Bytes available : 515072
mifs[4]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.
mifs[5]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[5]: Total bytes : 524288
mifs[5]: Bytes used : 9216
mifs[5]: Bytes available : 515072
mifs[5]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[6]: 0 files, 1 directories
mifs[6]: Total bytes : 57671680
mifs[6]: Bytes used : 1024
mifs[6]: Bytes available : 57670656
mifs[6]: mifs fsck took 40 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.
done.
Loading "flash:/c3560e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE1.bin"...flash:/c3560e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE1.bin: no such file or directory

Error loading "flash:/c3560e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE1.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
Boot process failed...

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT
environment variable needs to be set to a bootable
image.

Now i think i have bricked the switch, there is no image left to load? What should i do next.

A bit of googling around, i tried several command but each time it shows...

switch: tftp
Unknown cmd: tftp

Unknown cmd for anything i type.

How do i get back about installing the image back? I am a student, and do not have any business premium license

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

delete /force /recursive flash:

Without a filename specified at the end of "flash:" means delete everything.  Because the option "/force" and "recursive" was used it generally means delete everything (including subdirectories) and don't ask for confirmation.   This command has the similar effect of "format flash:".

3560E/X switch has a USB port at the back.  Using supported USB flash drives, one can force the switch to boot the IOS from the USB flash drive using the ROMmon command "boot usbflash0:IOS_filename.bin".

Don't forget to rate our useful posts.  

Hi thanks for your reply. Where should I download that image bin file from? I don't have any business paid account. 

Plus there is no USB port on my 3560-e switch. 

Can I transfer the image using winscp from my computer to the switch? Or using some pc based program to transfer file to switch?

Plus there is no USB port on my 3560-e switch. 

There is a USB port found at the back.

Sir, I have double checked there is no USB port neither in the front nor in the back.

There is no other way to load the image from a pc by transferring the file to the switch? 

Check the recovery procedure below using the console port:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/41845-192.html

hth

Andy

Aijaz Rehman
Level 1
Level 1

Download the new image for your cisco Switch from the below link

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/268438038

Use Tera Term, to transfer flash image via Xmodem to cisco switch, download Tera Term tool  its free

Power on your switch while pressing the mode button you will get the ROMMON prompt (switch:)

setup the transfer speed at its high to transfer fast

switch: set BAUD 115200

also change the speed in tera term terminal to do so go to:

set up > serial port> then change the baud rate to 115200 there as well

Give the switch a minute  take into effect, don’t panic when you feel like the screen froze, that happens, if you feel you don't get prompt even after press mode button change this back to 9600 you will get prompt back. but as I said at 9600  it will take long time try to transfer on 115200

then type:

switch: flash_init      

switch: copy xmodem: flash:<the image file>

the image file name means the file that you just downloaded kept on  desktop or any folder just copy and paste the name followed by .bin extension

when you hit enter after this command you will see CCCs displayed, then on tera term menu click File > XMODEM > send

browser the file on your desktop or the folder you you have downloaded  .bin file, That’s it! Here the transfer will begin

AijazRehman_0-1716963428839.png

To verify if .bin files were copied you can type:

switch: dir flash:   and the .bin file should be there.

Depending on the link’s speed it may take up to 40minutes. Once everything is done. Do not forget to set the Baud rate back to 9200:

switch: set BAUD 9600  (if this command didn't accept just type unset Baud it will make it default)

You are almost there, last thing you need to do is type:

switch: boot flash:<.bin file name>

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card