cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP binding for vendor specific

Jeff Horton
Level 1
Level 1

This may not be configurable but I had to ask in order to correctly answer someone's question...

I have a pool of ip addresses in a DHCP pool.. I want to reserve a portion of them for a vendor specific hardware address.. Can this be done on Cisco switch?

Pool is 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

reserved needed is 192.168.1.120 - 150 for vendor specific hardware address..

What they are needing to do is be able to change out a bad device with a good device and only retrieve an address from the reserved pool.. Trying to keep ip addresses specific to certain devices on the LAN...

Thanks in advance...

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You could try DHCP Option 60. DHCP Option 60 is the Vendor Class Identifier (VCI). The VCI is a text string that uniquely identifies a type of vendor device.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You mean DHCP reservation?

Not sure how exactly to do this.. would reservation be best?

Jeff

If you want it simple, yes.

Then reservation it is.. How do I configure the DHCP to recognize the vendor portion of the hardware address to give it a certain range of addresses within a subnet?

You will need to enter the complete MAC address to the assigned IP address.

I understand that portion of my question but how do you configure dhcp to recognize the vendor portion of the MAC only?

You have to configure the reservations (i.e. IP to MAC) it does nothing to 'recognise' OUI.

If you want addresses to be dynamically issued to them, you need to look toward the aforementioned client-identifier.

Martin

Have you used client-identifier for this before?

You could try DHCP Option 60. DHCP Option 60 is the Vendor Class Identifier (VCI). The VCI is a text string that uniquely identifies a type of vendor device.

Does the IE 3000 or IE 4000 support dhcp option 60? Having trouble with the correct configuration..

IT should but I haven't tried it.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card