ohalnet53
Level 1
Level 1

hi mates,

I am hoping some one can help me about the below problem:

DHCP doesnt work through cisco switch.

on my LAN;

- there is a DHCP server(PC) and clients(PCs) with 192.1.1.0 network

- all computers are connected to cisco switch (IOS 12.25), switch's IP address is on 10.0.0.0 network (interface vlan1)

- I havent configure anything about DHCP on the switch. all the DHCP configurations are default.

- Clients do not get IP addresses from DHCP server.

- When I replace cisco switch with a unmanaged switch, DHCP works !!! (everything is same I replace only cisco switch with a unmanaged switch)

I'll appreciate any help,tx in advance :)

ohalnet

9 Replies 9

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On each user port enter the "switchport host" , or just use the interface range command to apply it to all "user ports" . This will turn on spanning tree portfast and turn off trunking and channeling, this should fix your problem .

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On all user ports enter the "switchport host" command or use the interface range command to apply to all user ports at one time . This will turn on spanning tree portfast and turn off trunking and channeling , this should fix your issue.

ohalnet53
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Glen :)

thanks for response

I have already enabled spanning tree on user ports. Here is the configuration:

interface GigabitEthernet1/1

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/2

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/3

spanning-tree portfast

there is an etherchannel running between two cisco switches,but I think etherchannel shouldnt be cause of the problem because WHEN I shutdown one of the switches DHCP still does not work.

here is my ether-channel configuration:

interface Port-channel1

switchport

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/5

channel-group 1 mode desirable

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/6

channel-group 1 mode desirable

tx for helping :)

What kind of switch is it ? If its a L3 switch did you make the user ports switchports instead of routed ports ?

Do you have any VLANS Configured?

Does your router know the DHCP server address?

ip-helper x.x.x.x

cfolkerts
Level 1
Level 1

You will need to create another VLAN to support the 192.1.1.0 network. All interfaces right now are in the 10.0.0.0 (vlan 1) network and are unable to communicate with the DHCP server.

config t

interface vlan 2

ip add 192.1.1.x 255.255.255.0

int range fa0/1 - 24

switchport access vlan 2

switchport mode access

All switchports must be members of a VLAN, and, by default, it is VLAN 1. Because VLAN 1 was selected as the default VLAN for all switchports, it was also chosen to handle special traffic such as VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) advertisements, CDP, Port Aggregation Protocol (PAgP), or Link Aggregation Control Protocol messages (LACP). By default, in-band management interfaces such as sc0 are members of VLAN 1.

HTH

ohalnet53
Level 1
Level 1

it is a L3 switch.

Unfortunately I need all switchports to be the member of VLAN1 (10.0.0.0 network)

Switch is not a DHCP server nor is it client only computers are using DHCP.

Can't I simply make switches just forward DHCP pazkets as other packets without interpreting them? (For the uniq application running on my system, I need to keep 10.0.0.0 network and switchports must be member of this VLAN)

tx for helping :)

I think you need to provide a little more info like the current config and how it is connected to the upstream devices . Some device must be routing if you are using 2 separate networks otherwise you would not be able to talk between them .

Is your DHCP server going to be on this switch? If so, can put that server's switchport on a different vlan? Then you can use the ip helper-address command and forward DHCP requests to that server.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3560/12225see/scg/swipaddr.htm

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco