cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP failed. APIPA is being used.

MaxedStatus
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to finish this lab but for some reason my DHCP is failing; After 4 hours of working through something meant to be easy I've decided to create a post regarding this issue.

I'm not looking for someone to complete it for me but rather I'd like to know what my mistake is regarding my DHCP as I need it to give IP addresses to all PCs in the environment.
Thanks in advance!

27 Replies 27

Hi MaxedStatus,

Can you please send me the config and the topology to look into the issue?

Spooster IT Services Team

Sure thing, I tried putting the pka file in the word docu but I guess that didn't work quite right, my bad.
Hope this is what you need to see it.
If the doc file doesn't help here's a link to a google drive with the zip file of the pka
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18LsGcZPU-PXn3j7Wu9VxpNz5HwzlpQc9

Thanks in advance, I really just wanna know what stupid thing I did so I can rectify it in the future.

Hi MaxedStatus,

You have to define ip helper-address 78.0.0.101 on R3 interface facing the PC.
Secondly, server's must have the static IP address. So please assign static IP address to the DHCP server.

Spooster IT Services Team

Gave it a try and it seemed to not do anything different, I did have the server on static IPs before but changed to DHCP to see if that would've worked.
I did send my prof a slightly different one so I may just end up asking him but kinda wanted to fix the issue so I wouldn't see like I let him down which is a weird feeling.

Hi...kindly give me access to the drive link. I have this DHCP issue tooo

I would like to apprehend my dhcp, I'm trying to be more different, I never get my help.

Hello

What host are you having issues with ?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I can not configure my dhcp

Hello,

post the .pka file again, the previous one has been deleted. Are you using the IOS DHCP server or the one in Packet Tracer ?

Hello Georg,
I am searching the internet as I'm having the same issue (kind of) but I could not find complete answers or something I could apply to my lab. I'm struggling to config DHCP, it works in some parts of the network, but APIPA is being used on the rest of the devices. Is there any chance you can help in any way if I send you the .pka file please? I'm not sure how to open a new discussion for my issue. However if you'd prefer I could make a new one. Hope to hearing back from you soon
Thanks for your time
Mirko

Possible Fix :

I had a similar problem , assuming I am using the same version of PT as you .

In “wireless devices” there are TWO wireless routers : “Home Router” and “WRT300N” .  Use WRT300N , and everything uses DHCP not APIPA to resolve all the IP addresses .

Other problems I had in this module (which may help someone I hope):

Step 4B ( 2.1.1.5 ) Configure the Internet Cloud (if following the instructions , do step 4d before 4b [there isn’t a 4C!]) :

Instructions provide ‘…In the left pane click on Cable under CONNECTIONS. In the first drop down box choose Coaxial and in the second drop down box choose Ethernet then click the Add button to add these as the From Port and To Port as shown in the figure…’

However , in the second dropdown there are NO OPTIONS in the dropdown menu .

To fix this , go to “FastEthernet6” in the left pane menu under “INTERFACE” (same options window ie Internet /Config) .  Change from “DSL” to “CABLE” .  Go back to the “Cable” in the left pane menu under “CONNECTIONS” and it should now be available in the second drop down menu .  

You are a saint, thank you sir

Great eye! WRT300N router is the solution in regards to creating a simple network in Packet Tracer.

Thank you for saving our time. Finally its fixed, what silly mistake to make. 

It would have taken hours (maybe days) for our self to sort it out.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card