cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP helper-address and pool

aweise
Level 1
Level 1

I would think the answer to this is pretty simple, but I can't confirm.

At one of our remote locations, we have a layer 3 switch (Cisco 3850) that has a DHCP pool configured for our IP phones. However, on the VLAN interface for the phone VLAN, we also have a helper-address configured. Configurations are below:

ip dhcp pool VOIP
 network 10.1.26.0 255.255.255.0
 default-router 10.1.26.1

interface Vlan500
 ip address 10.1.26.1 255.255.255.0
 ip helper-address 192.168.10.10
 ip helper-address 192.168.20.10

If the helper address is configured on the SVI, does the local pool on the switch simply override the helper-address? The pool on the switch is responding to the queries and successfully handing out the IP address leases.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
3 Replies 3

BradEast1
Level 3
Level 3

Not certain that one negates the other. My logic would be that it's faster to get a response from the local DHCP pool rather than convert the request to unicast, forward to your remote DHCP server and receive a response. Thus, the local pool would win.

Yachay
Level 1
Level 1

Yachay, thank you for that link. My guess is what BradEast1 said in that the switch would respond more quickly than the remote DHCP server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco