cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP snooping enabled - switch dropping DISCOVER or REQUEST messages on untrusted port

Ivan Mamka
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm into basics of DHCP snooping. I've enabled it on the switch with following:

(config) ip dhcp snooping

(config) ip dhcp snooping vlan 1

Now, on Fa0/2 I have DHCP server connected, on Fa0/1 I have a client. By default all ports are untrusted. As per documentation, untrusted ports should allow DHCP DISCOVER & REQUEST messages. But (in PacketTracer) when client sending DHCP DISCOVER message to the LAN, switch drops it. If I configure port as trusted, then it forwards it to the server port Fa0/2.

Any thoughts why DHCP snooping dropping DHCP discover/request messages on untrusted ports?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I just tested this on a real switch. With DHCP snooping enabled, and no trusted port, all packets are dropped. With one trusted port, the DHCP packets are flooded to the entire Vlan but only accepted on the trusted port. I guess that matches your findings.

The 3560 in Packet Tracer does not work as expected, I am pretty sure it is a quirk in Packet Tracer. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

it should work as expected, i am not a PT user -

check below video ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7oabLXoVyA

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hey Balaji,

Second video was helpfull: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3EmleryJ9A

on 5:00 he had the same thing - DHCP requests were dropping immediately if there is not one trusted port configured on switch. Solved with configuring one trusted port. Thanks!

Hello,

probably a quirk in Packet Tracer. Can you post the zipped project (.pkt) file ?

Actually, I just tested this on a 3560 switch in Packet Tracer, it works as documented. Untrusted ports are able to send/receive discover/request messages, and IP addresses are assigned to hosts on untrusted ports.

Hey Georg,

Attaching a PT file. So on 2960 switches(or on all), if there is none at all trusted ports configured, then DHCP request packets are dropped immediately, but if there is even one trusted port, those DHCP requests are flooded to all switch operational ports, and replies are allowed only from trusted ports.

And in attached PT project, I couldn't make it working DHCP snooping for switch 3560

Hello,

I just tested this on a real switch. With DHCP snooping enabled, and no trusted port, all packets are dropped. With one trusted port, the DHCP packets are flooded to the entire Vlan but only accepted on the trusted port. I guess that matches your findings.

The 3560 in Packet Tracer does not work as expected, I am pretty sure it is a quirk in Packet Tracer. 

diable option 82 and try again

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card