cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between CISCO CLI based switches and CISCO IOS based swithches

daudparvez
Level 1
Level 1

I have just started my CCNP Switch. I am cofused regarding difference between the CISCO CLI based switches and CISCO IOS based swithches. Can someone please explain the difference between these two?

7 Replies 7

saulatsaleem
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Daud - We cant compare IOS with CLI beucase IOS is like operating system or a Cisco device whereas CLI (command line interface) is a method to operate that operating system. Means that IOS is like Windows XP whereas CLI is like graphical user interface which we use to deliver instructions to our Windows operating system.

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Daud,

To add to Saulat's answer, the IOS and CLI are related terms: the IOS is the operating system, the CLI is its command line interface (the configuration language). The relation of IOS and CLI is similar to Windows and CMD (command.com), or Linux and bash. If you have an IOS-based switch, you also have the CLI (except the Catalyst 500 series that, as far as I know, run IOS but provide only web-based management).

Best regards,

Peter

Dear Both,

Thanks for ur replies. But in Richard Deal CCNA book different commands have been mentioned for 1900 and 1950 switches for the same task. That's why i was confused. Can u please reply that for different switches, the commands syntax changes ? This is not the case with ther Routers as far as i know.

Best Regards,

Hi Daud,

Oh, the 1900 switches are extremely outdated. I would absolutely not try to learn their syntax because their operating system, even if it was already IOS, used slightly different commands than those used today. (Do not confuse it with CatOS, though - it was yet another operating system used mostly on higher Catalyst platforms - 4000 and higher - its command line was strongly different from today's IOS-based platforms).

Did you mean 2950? I don't know about 1950 series switches.

Best regards,

Peter

Dear Peter,

Can u please tell me the diference in CATOS and IOS ?

Best Regards,

Hello,

The differences between the IOS and CatOS are extensive - it is impossible to describe them here. You may, however, want to have a look at the Configuration Guide for the CatOS to see how its command like worked:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/8.x/configuration/guide/confg_gd.html

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card