cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between Gbps & Mpps

Sam Pragash
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to replace a Cisco 3750E-24TD with Cisco 2960G-24TC.I wanted to make sure that 2960 will handle the load. When I went through the datasheets, I got the below queries.

What is the difference between Forwarding Bandwidth & Forwarding rate? Why they are mentioned in Gbps and sometimes in Mpps?

For Eg:

Cisco 3750E-24TD - 65.5 Mpps and

Cisco 2960G-24TC - 32 Gbps.

4 Replies 4

Hi Sam,

Gbps - Giga bit per second (how many bits can be processed by the device)

Mpps - Maximum packets per second (how many packets can be processed by the device)

For Mpps is depending the size of the packet transmited.

Eg: you send the smallest frame in ethernet which are 64 bytes in size+ interframe gap, so to fill a GE port in one direction you need 10^9 / [(64+20,2)*8] = 1484560 packets per second.

so a number around of 3  Mpps(1,48*2= 2,96 ) is equivalent to 1 GE ports filled with smallest frames bidirectional.

I hope this explanation will help

Hi all,
I am sorry but I respectfully disagree with the Gbps and Mpps definitions provided above. The M of Mpps stands for Mega(million) packet per second and it is the way to size the processing capabilities of a determined platform. Generally the packet processed are set to the minimum size to provide the max overload to the CPU to analyse. Gbps instead literally means one billion(giga) of bit per second and it is the max capability of a determined link/interface. Generally speaking this capability will be never used due to the transceiver buffers and design. It is not unusual to test a gigabit link(or interface) with a multisession ds/us.

Hope this helps
Alessio

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Alessio,

You are right MPPS = million packets per second

Thanks!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

They measure two different properties.  The Gbps rating is usually the fabric/bus bandwidth, shared by all port.  Normally, it quoted for duplex bandwidth.  For example, 24 Gbps (duplex) ports would require 48 Gbps of fabric bandwidth.  As the 2960G is listed as having only 32 Gbps, the switch can not support concurrent full capacity across 24 gig ports.

PPS measures, packets per second.  Requirement varys (greatly) on packet size. 1 Gbps Ethernet requires 1.488 Mpps.  As 24 gig (duplex) ports are only switched once, Ethernet wire-rate would require 24 * 1.488 Mpps = (about) 36 Mpps.  If the switch provides a lower Mpps rating, it might not be able to support concurrent full capacity across all its ports.  Of course, if bandwidth is restricted by fabric capacity, you might check whether it could support it's full capacity.  Also, again, PPS varies (much) on packet size.  A switch that might not guarantee wire-rate for worst case might deliver wire-rate for "normal" traffic.

PS:

When looking at switches, don't forget special uplink ports, like dual 10G ports that can be found on 3750Es.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card