cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

different between cisco and microsoft loopback??

abhi-adte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to know what is diffent between cisco and microsoft loopback ?

Please help me..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Abhinay,

the microsoft loopback is part of the TCP/IP stack and allows to test services like a web server using fixed ip address 127.0.0.1 or even as a way to perform some processing.

On a cisco router there can be multiple loopback interfaces with multiple IP addresses not limited to 127/8

A loopback interface in a cisco router or multilayer switch is a logical interface that is always on until the device is alive.

For this reason a loopback interface IP address is usually used as router-id in dynamic protocols like OSPF, BGP (and EIGRP) it provides consistency over time and does not depend from the state of a specific interface or of a specific group of interfaces.

until a network device has at least one physical interface connecting to the rest of the network its loopback address can be reached and this is very handy for iBGP sessions, LDP targeted sessions, L2TPv3 sessions and so on

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Abhinay,

the microsoft loopback is part of the TCP/IP stack and allows to test services like a web server using fixed ip address 127.0.0.1 or even as a way to perform some processing.

On a cisco router there can be multiple loopback interfaces with multiple IP addresses not limited to 127/8

A loopback interface in a cisco router or multilayer switch is a logical interface that is always on until the device is alive.

For this reason a loopback interface IP address is usually used as router-id in dynamic protocols like OSPF, BGP (and EIGRP) it provides consistency over time and does not depend from the state of a specific interface or of a specific group of interfaces.

until a network device has at least one physical interface connecting to the rest of the network its loopback address can be reached and this is very handy for iBGP sessions, LDP targeted sessions, L2TPv3 sessions and so on

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Dear Sir,

As per "

On a Cisco router there can be multiple loopback interfaces with multiple IP addresses not limited to 127/8"

this line can we see in router which loopback is is use for which interface.

I am talking about 127.0.0.0 to 127.255.255.255 network. like 127.0.0.1 is use for self test ping ok! or If I check in Microsoft OS ping is success full.

But in cisco router I its not ping so how I can check?

One More different is Microsoft loopback have MAC Address and Cisco Loopback do not have Mac address.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

All above inputs are correct and  very effective.

Just want to say :

Cisco Devices can be configured any class ip to check the connectivity and ping status and it configured on the virtual interface of Cisco Device e.g router and switch.

On the other hand,Microsoft loopback ip address contained/integrate with TCP/IP Stack and fixed in 127.0.0.0/24.

Regards

Vinod Agraahri 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card