Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable stack election

mohdqawi87
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

We are using 3750 stackable switch with no stack presently. Wondering if we could disable the stack election process to boot the ios faster like other non stackable 3750 switches.

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Wondering if we could disable the stack election process to boot the ios faster like other non stackable 3750 switches.

If this is a standalone switch and you don't want it to go to a stack election everytime it boots, then use this:

conf t

switch 1 priority 15

end

This command "forces" the switch to have the maximum priority number of "15" which also means "I'm the master of this stack, period.  No election needed."

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Abdul,

There is no way do it...

Hath

Regards

Inayath

I mean to say you can't do it... There is no way. 

There was once upon a time discussion on this:https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/758869#758869

Hath

Return

Inayath

******plz rate all usefull posts

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Wondering if we could disable the stack election process to boot the ios faster like other non stackable 3750 switches.

If this is a standalone switch and you don't want it to go to a stack election everytime it boots, then use this:

conf t

switch 1 priority 15

end

This command "forces" the switch to have the maximum priority number of "15" which also means "I'm the master of this stack, period.  No election needed."

I just wanted to bring down the booting time and this surely helps. Thanks.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks for the ratings.

Just make sure that if you are going to stack a second (or more) switch, the member switches have default (1) or less than 15 priority.

If the newly added stack member has the same priority, during the next stack reboot, the members with the same priority 15 will have a stack election.

If memory serves me correctly, the switch with the lowest MAC address will be the master.

I just tested this with a WS-C2960S-24PS-L switch running 15.0(2)SE4 universal, and the command has zero effect on the boot time.  An election still occurs, and boot time is still 4:13.

If the console output is accurate, the actual election process on a single switch without any additional stack members attached is only a couple of seconds.

Very interesting!

Stack election behaviour of the 3750-fleet vs 2960S is very different.

Do you have the stacking module installed?  If you do, did you try to remove the stacking module?

I performed this test with a WS-C3750 running c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE12.bin. Both times as a standalone switch once with switch priority 1 next with priority 15, ~2:58 each time.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Leo Laohoo wrote:

conf t

switch 1 priority 15

end

Could you have more than one switch in a stack set to priority 15?

Could you have more than one switch in a stack set to priority 15?

Yes you can.  You can have all members with priority 15 but during bootup ... he he he ... the entire stack will go into an election.

Ok, here's another "way out" if you have an entire stack set to "priority 15":  Boot up the entire stack, one-at-a-time and in the order of your choice.

Meaning, let's say you have switch 1 as the master, switch 2 as member 2, switch 3 as member 3, etc.

So you boot up switch 1 first, (I normally wait for 10-15 seconds) power up switch number 2, wait, power up switch 3, wait, power up switch 4, etc.

After that, every member of the switch will know their "place" and will not do an election.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card