Views
Helpful
Replies

Discussion on 802.1x

Kyle Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am working on a network segmentation project for work and am planning on dishing out static VLANs to the ports. In our office of 300, the end users do not move frequently or have the ability to use wireless although we plan on adding and allowing wireless on our LAN in the future. I am familiar with the 802.1x protocol but based on the size of our team relative to the amount of users I dont quite see it being worth it. I have a co-worker who swears up and down that 802.1x is the way we should go because he feels my method of dishing out VLANs is a security flaw and not legitimate L2 security.

My question is for a small to mid sized company do you see many people going with 802.1x? I have read about issues with Windows 7 PCs sitting behind IP phones having issues connecting. I also know it can be a pain in the butt to get going. Basically I am looking to keep it simple for myself and my team members because at the end of the day everyone on our team will need to know how to manage this and not everyone has a Cisco/Networking background.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unless you are mandated high security requirements, eg, military, financial, sensitive information, etc, I would recommend against it, no matter the network size.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card