cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Distribution Layer to Access w/ HA

Evan Ray
Level 1
Level 1

I have two distribution switches and a single access layer switch.  I want to configure the access switch to connect my APs.  I would like to configure the access switch to connect to both distribution switches.  I was working with vPC in another lab, so I'm used to setting up a vPC upstream from say a N2K.  So this is using Catalyst switches in a lab, 3750s and 3560 to be exact.

If I am not mistaken, I will only be able to configure a port-channel to each distribution switch.  Then I would configure HSRP at the distribution layer?  I'm a little fuzzy on how to configure the access switch.  I believe I just configure the individual port-channels to each distribution switch as a trunk, then if one of them fails, the HSRP configuration at the distribution layer will act accordingly.  Is this correct?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the 3750 is the distro and is in the stack, then the two uplinks of the 3560 can connect to the 3750 as an etherchannel.

Heya Leo!

I should of provided a few more specifics.  So this is a lab, and the 3750s are acting separately and not in a stack.  I am trying to mimic a real world scenario and lab to learn how traffic flows.  In this case looking at getting wireless working.  Thanks!!!

Since the 3750's are independent, you probably want to run spanning-tree in the environment.  ONE of the uplinks from the access switch will go into blocking mode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: