cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DLNA and Cisco Routers

Michael Durham
Level 4
Level 4

Has anyone been able to get DLNa to work over different subnets using Cisco 3550 router/switches? 

My home network has several subnets and I am not going to flatten my network.  What I would like to do is have my media server (a HP Prolian DL380 running VM Ware and Windows) that is on 192.168.125.0/29 netowrk be seen and usable on my users network which is 192.168.69.0/24 and on the wireless lan which os 192.168.200.0/24. 

There are several other netowrks but they do not need access to the media content.

Does anyone know how to do this?

10 Replies 10

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

I guess DLNA uses UPnP which uses SSDP which uses 239.255.255.250 multicast group. Probably you need to set up multicast routing:

www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.1_19_ea1/configuration/guide/swmcast.html

I would choose PIM dense mode.

Home networking is becoming quite challenging these days (-:

I have been working with thah document but since I am just a CCNA with only home lab experence, I am still a little lost.  In other words, it still not working.  Here is my sh run:

!

ip multicast-routing

!

interface Vlan69

description - User Vlan

ip address 192.168.69.1 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address 172.16.2.2

ip pim version 1

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

no ip route-cache cef

no ip route-cache

!

interface Vlan125

description - Media Vlan

ip address 192.168.125.1 255.255.255.248

ip pim version 1

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

no ip route-cache cef

no ip route-cache

!

ip pim send-rp-announce Vlan125 scope 5

ip pim send-rp-announce Vlan69 scope 5

ip pim send-rp-discovery scope 5

!

Right now I am not worried about restricting anythin.

On my server which is 192.168.125.4/29 I am running PlayOn Media server.  If I am right, once working I should see that server in my Windows 7 workstation which is on ip 192.168.69.150.

I think I am close but no cigar yet.  Any thoughts?

This is my home netowrk.  On the left is my 192.168.69.150 workstation and on the right is the PlayOn Media Server 192.168.125.4.  As you se, I have two 3550-PWR-24 swtiches.  The above config file is from the one on the right.  Do I need to do anything to the switch on the left?

Use PIM version 2.

It would be easier to set up a static RP.

Enable IGMP snooping on all switches

Check the status while DLNA is supposed to perform some operation:

sh ip mroute

sh ip igmp groups

sh ip pim rp

You need to check whether there is a sender and a receiver in that multicast group.

For some reason, my switch only suppoets version 1.  UGGGG!!!!!

C3550 Software (C3550-IPSERVICES-M), Version 12.2(44)SE6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I still need help with this.  Anyone have any suggestions?  My switch only supports PIM ver 1

I think it does support PIMv2.

Configuring Basic Multicast Routing

ip pim version [1 | 2]

Configure the PIM version on the interface.

By default, Version 2 is enabled and is the recommended setting.

What is your output? Just remove this line if you can't set v2.

Anyway, you can set the other features I suggested (static RP or dense mode and IGMP snooping).

Use the show commands and copy here what you achieved.

any outcome?

Well, it may be an old thread, but it was most helpful.

I added the ip pim send's and discovery and the PIM settings on the vlan interfaces for my server and AV VLANs.

Works perfectly.

I have Bose Sound Touch to play the audio and my music library runs on a Synology NAS.

Love it when a plan comes together. 

Thank you Michael.

Mark.

Glad to hear that. (-:

Please rate Michael's post if it was valuable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card