cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS options with 3750-x switch serving DHCP

Travis Ryan
Level 1
Level 1

At the company work for we decided to move DHCP duties from a Windows server to our 3750-X switch stack that's the gateway for our network. I researched the commands needed and cobbled together the statements needed to provide DHCP for each of our VLANS. My question has to do with DHCP options that are in a Windows server that I'm not seeing in Cisco, at least not in the place I would expect them.

On a Windows server providing DHCP you can check the properties of a specific scope and on the "DNS" tab you have options that let you choose how the DHCP server updates the authoritative DNS servers with the host (A) and pointer (PTR) records of a DHCP client.

Looking through the options in DHCP on the Cisco switch, the only thing I can do with DNS is set the primary and secondary DNS servers DHCP hands out. WHere I do see these options is in what Cisco calls Dynamic DNS (DDNS) which to me make it sounds like the switch would have to serve out DNS too, which isn't what we want.

After all that, my question(s) are: 1) If you enable DDNS on the switch does the switch become the DNS provider? 2a) If so, is there some other way to control those options? Even if we have to set it by client? 2b) If not, how does DDNS work with a regular Windows server hosting DNS?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You really don't want to use Cisco appliance as a full-time DNS/DHCP.  They are fine in some cases, but when you want to configure DHCP options, for instance, a dedicated DHCP box is far more superior. 

We are currently using InfoBlox as a DNS/DHCP box and I would highly recommend them.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card