Views
Helpful
Replies

does 3560CX-12PD-S support BGP ?

psevilla
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need help in finding out if 3560CX-12PD-S running Version 15.2(4)E6 supports BGP.(eBGP)

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally i used as switch, i expect some good router to do this task of BGP

but as per prodct datasheet, it support BGP, not sure what is your requirement ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for responding BB. Client has (2) ISP connections from 2 different carriers. I'm looking to setup BGP failover. If one ISP circuit goes down, we want the traffic to dynamically route out the operational circuit.

i would advise using a router, the switch may be not capable, (but never tried on the switches) also its not secure.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I agree with BB that a router is a better choice for this design, but for BGP to work on that platform, you need to have IP Services license installed. If your budget does not allow for a router, and you have to use this switch, I would simply use static routes and not BGP.

See excerpt from the datasheet:

Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX compact switches ship with the IP Base version of Cisco IOS® Software. The 3560-CX switches can be upgraded to use the IP Services version of IOS Software with a Right-To-Use (RTU) License. The IP Base and IP Services feature set on Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX switches provides baseline enterprise services in addition to all LAN Base features. They support Layer 3 networking features, including support for routed access, Cisco TrustSec, Media Access Control security (MACsec), and other advanced network services. The IP Services feature set provides full Layer 3 routing capabilities with Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Enhanced Internal Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Policy-Based Routing (PBR), Multicast Routing, and Virtual Routing and Forwarding (VRF) Lite. 

Datasheet:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3560-cx-series-switches/datasheet-c78-733229.html

HTH

I think that there may be another aspect of this to consider. If there are connections to 2 different ISPs, then there is probably Network Address Translation involved. How would you change the translated address being used when there is a failover from ISP1 to ISP2? I do not think that the 3560 can do that. A router could do that.

We do not know much about this environment and I wonder where the NAT is being done?

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card