cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does TDR cable-diagnostic work when end device is off?

bselcuk
Level 1
Level 1

We have about 120 cables connected at the end with fast-ethernet PoE devices. Since we have PoE troubles, many devices are not online / getting power. However, we want to check if there is any cable issue.

Does "test cable-diagnostic tdr" has a useful result when the end is offline / not connected at all ?

The device works on Fast-Ethernet, as I've read in TDR guide that Pair C and D is only tested when its recognized as Gigabit, is this true? When PoE is working, Pair C should give a result, shouldn't it?

When the cable is correct and PoE is working, the output should be like this or is this wrong?

Pair A Normal
Pair B Normal
Pair C Short
Pair D Short

Switches are C9200L-24P-4X

3 Replies 3

W-ALI
Level 1
Level 1

this output fro C3750X

TDR.png

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I want to know the exact firmware version the switch is running on and the uptime (yes, it matters). 

I also want to the complete output to the command "sh cable tdr interface <PORT>".

@bselcuk wrote:
The device works on Fast-Ethernet, as I've read in TDR guide that Pair C and D is only tested when its recognized as Gigabit, is this true? When PoE is working, Pair C should give a result, shouldn't it?

Unless someone is testing the wrong port or someone is using an injector.

If the port is getting power AND the TDR result is showing only Pairs A and B are "Normal", then verify that with the command "sh power inline".

debug ilpower powerman

share this output let see what we will get 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card