cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does The SG250-08 Use DTP Or Other Trunk Forming Protocols?

kennethcasey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, new to the forms and Cisco in general hopefully I am directing my question in the proper location!

I have set up a small network in my apartment enabling multiple VLANs and L3 rules in an effort to isolate traffic from each VLAN as desired. I am considering entertaining the idea of hosting a small game server for me and my friends which would be accessible over the internet (locked down by ip) and would like to ensure that this server can NOT talk to any other device on my internal network for obvious reasons. From my understanding as long as administrative access is locked down to trusted internal hosts and Layer 3 rules are properly configured VLAN hopping and switch spoofing would be the only way for this server to communicate with devices on other VLANs. The native VLAN is not in use which should mitigate double tagging, however I have read about ciscos Dynamic Trunking Protocol and am unsure if this protocol is implemented by this switch. I have explicitly set all ports that aren't running from switch to switch or switch to router as Access Ports using the web GUI and see nothing pertaining to this protocol. I would like to ensure that this switch does not have any way to negotiate a trunk without my consent especially on the game server VLAN. Does this switch feature DTP or any other trunk forming protocols that I should be aware of? If so how would I disable them? Apologies if the question is a bit loaded context is always fun

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DTP supported - can you check any auto smart port config enabled ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello,

DTP is Cisco proprietary, so it is probably supported. The best way to keep any port from doing any trunking is configuring the port as access port, which you apparently already did. That should be sufficient.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DTP supported - can you check any auto smart port config enabled ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes, this was enabled. I have successfully disabled it on all of my switches. Thank you for your input.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card