cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eBGP Implementation

Marcm19921
Level 1
Level 1

Lets's say my router is sitting behind a firewall, obviously I would have to use the ebgp-multihop command to establish the tcp session with my ISP. Would I simply inform my ISP of the number of hops necessary in order to form the BGP session? 

I have no personal experience using eBGP, I've only done it within my lab. So I'm just looking for some advise on practical real world implementation. 

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes, you need to have a multihop config , if that is not directly connected.

Also, note - on FW  make sure you open the required Port for BGP peering.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I'm aware of that. My question is simply would you let your ISP know that they need to increase the TTL?

I'm aware of that. My question is simply would you let your ISP know that they need to increase the TTL?

Yes, you need to let them know so, they can add the multihop command to your connection/peering.

HTH

Obviously right, if you are configuring multihop, same on other side also multihop.

"if that is not directly connected" multihop config required both sides.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

If the topology is like this ISP <--> your firewall <==> your router The ISP will know the IP of the firewall that it connects to. In addition to informing the ISP of the number of hops you need to communicate to them what is the IP address of your router and what AS number you will be using.

HTH

Rick

if you can do traceroute to ISP, 
if the ASA appear then use ebgp-multihop number as hop number appear 
if the ASA is not appear then use ebgp-multihop number as hop number appear + 1

remember each hop will reduce ttl by 1.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card