cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Effect of DHCP Server switch going down

xzevallos
Level 1
Level 1

Let's say I have a Cisco switch acting as a DHCP server.  It's configured to save its DCHP binding database to flash.  But the switch goes down and needs to be replaced.  The switch is replaced soon, but the new switch has no knowledge of the DHCP bindings of the previous switch.  What happens in this case?  Will the new switch start handing out duplicate addresses?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

No, DHCP server should send ping probe to see if IP is taken before handing out new one.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Martin L
VIP
VIP

No, DHCP server should send ping probe to see if IP is taken before handing out new one.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...Let's say I have a Cisco switch acting as a DHCP server.  It's configured to save its DCHP binding database to flash.  But the switch goes down and needs to be replaced
   - Here you are pointing to the disadvantages of using switches for DHCP services , it's better to separate this from the layer2 services and use appliances for DHCP : multiple vendors will offer active standby pairs ('dhcp clusters') where database  synchronization is done automatically and dhcp servicing failover to the standby node becomes instant when needed (e.g.)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card