cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Distribute List

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

I am working on some EIGRP configuration in a lab.  I have two 3750G switches connected to each other via L3 interfaces.  Now what I have been trying to do is create two ACL's and allow the networks form those ACL's to be included in the EIGRP updates.  However when I do "distribute-list 10 in - distribute-list 20 out".  It does not work.  I have to use the "network x.x.x.x x.x.x.x" command and then I see EIGRP work and see the hits on the ACL's as well. 

I have tried to use the route-map but same issue.  I do not see the "redistribute route-map ..." command.  I'm assuming on a switch it is not possible to accomplish this?

SWITCH1:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/12

no switchport

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

speed 1000

duplex full

end

SWITCH2:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/12

no switchport

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

speed 1000

duplex full

end

19 Replies 19

Thank you again John, so there is a thought I can advertise all the networks but use the distribution list to filter them out.

So just for educational purposes and future reference is there a way to accomplish this without using the network command and just using the ACL?

You have to advertise your network through the process somehow whether it be via redistribution of static/connected/another routing protocol/process, or originated directly in the routing process.

There is the one situation that you could do this. Redistribution relies on what is currently in the routing table. If a router learns of a route from another router, and then it needs to pass that route to another router, you can filter on that route without owning the route. For example:

Router A ----> B ------> C

A = 192.168.1.0/24 and advertises 1.1.1.0/24, 1.1.2.0/24, and 1.1.3.0/24

B = 192.168.1.0/24 and peers with A ---> 172.12.1.0/24 and peers with C

C = 172.12.1.0/24 and peers with B

If you were to advertise the above networks on A with the network command, you could filter what C receives by creating the acl on B and doing a distribute-list out. B only knows of the networks from A, but B doesn't need the "network" command under it's eigrp process because it's learned via eigrp. The route just has to pass through B someway either via a routing protocol (eigrp in this case) or via redistribute connected/static (if B didn't learn the route from another router).

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks so much makes all sense now     

Thank you that works too however what John said earlier that I have to advertise the networks some how so I have to use the "network 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255" and so on under the EIGRP process.

If I just add "redistribute connected route-map "map-name" EIGRP neighbor relation does not form.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: