Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Routing Router to HSRP Switches

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi 

I have the following setup at one of my sites, 2 core 3560 switches with IPBase, they are running HSRP for failover. I will be connecting a router into the switches and run EIGRP just so that the router has visibility of the internal networks and advertises them out. 

Router

|

|

Core1----<hsrp>----Core2

My question is, I know EIGRP limited on IP Base, when building the neighbour relationship, is the relationship built just between the router and core1, will the router get visibility of all the internal networks or does core 2 also have to be involved somehow.

Or am I right in saying that the eigrp relationship will be between the router and the HSRP VIP?

The core switches do have static routes to other networks, that is not much of a concern as this is part of a migration process. Eventually the core switches will be using the new router as their gateway to other networks.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Robert Hillcoat
Level 1
Level 1

You need to connect your Router to Core2 switch (physically) and run EIGRP between them. Use point to point links i.e. /30 subnet (Unless you have some sort of WAN acceleration in between)

Otherwise whats the point in you running HSRP? If you lose Core1 you lose connection to your Router.

My advice to you is to lab this up and learn.....

Hi Robert

I only have 1 spare interface on the router to use for the internal connection, hence why I am trying to work with what I have. I understand this will not provide redundancy. 

I am just trying to see if this solution can work with what we currently have 

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card