Views
Helpful
Replies

Election Priority in Stack 2960-X

Azuriste
Level 1
Level 1

Hello , 

I deployed a stack of 4 2960-X Switches .I configure the Priority for each switch to know wich will be the Master  ( the switch wich have the priority more important will be the master ).My question : why we have two parametrs to configure Priority Election ( Priority Command and lowest Mac Address ) .i prefer to disable the Lowest Mac address parametre and maitain just the command priority for election .

is there a way to do this configuration please ?

Regards ,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7
Hi

Like in other protocols that need to elect a master the priority is the first parameter they look at. And the MAC is just the tiebreaker.(the same as with STP)

If you configure the priority the MAC address will only be used to elect the master among two devices with the same priority, configureation, software/hardware and uptime according to the election process.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/71925-cat3750-create-switch-stks.html#anc11

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Election based on lowest MAC address is the last evaluation in the election tiebreaker set of tests. The election process is hardwired and cannot be altered. You can however change some election parameters, the most obvious being the switch priority value.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_53_se/configuration/guide/2960scg/swstack.html#35199

cheers,

Seb.

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7
Hi

Like in other protocols that need to elect a master the priority is the first parameter they look at. And the MAC is just the tiebreaker.(the same as with STP)

If you configure the priority the MAC address will only be used to elect the master among two devices with the same priority, configureation, software/hardware and uptime according to the election process.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/71925-cat3750-create-switch-stks.html#anc11

Hello

just like to add - only switchs that participate. in stack master election will adhere to this - meaning if you reload the whole stack for some reason and your original master comes up to slowly it will be excluded from the election and won’t become the master even though it eventually comes back on line  This applys to any switch in the stack so in theory a Lower priority stack member can become the master in some circumstances. Even when you have higher priority members active 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card