cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable BPDUGuard on Spanning-tree Portfast Trunk Port: Yes or No?

ansonleekh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello to all the Cisco Experts,

I have been searching around to get a confirmed answer as per my subject, but yet unable to come into any conclusion that could help me.

This is all started when I configured the switchport configuration for my ESXi Server which is a dot1q trunk port. The reference will be as below URL:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006628

The configuration of the switchport will be as below:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
 description ESXi
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 11,15
 switchport mode trunk
 spanning-tree portfast trunk
end

The catch is, I had the bpduguard enabled on the global level in my switch = spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default.

This will enable the bpduguard on the trunk port above due to the switchport is in portfast (the command: spanning-tree portfast trunk).

Some of the guys in this forum mentioned that it is not recommended to have bpduguard on trunk port and some mentioned it is okay to have this.

So, what do you all think on this? Any real life experience dealing with this kind of situtation that can be shared to us over here?

Thank you in advance.

15 Replies 15

This is great thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card