Helpful
Replies

enable secret 5 cisco

knaik99
Level 1
Level 1

to protect privilege mode I entered command--

#enable secret 5 cisco

but it is not taking now as I tried to enter from usermode to privilege mode i.e. Cisco password is not working

any reason

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You need to be in config mode for these commands to be entered : start with # conf t

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

The 5 in your command indicates that an encrypted password will follow. The password of 'cisco' is not encrypted.

Can you try enable secret cisco 

Then try it again.

If you want it hashed you can enter the command service password-encryption in config mode.

-David

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
from usermode to privilege mode

as your command show you have not tired config mode,

if you tried what error you getting ? how is your VTY Lines config 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

secret is depend on MD5, can I now platform you test? it can that it not support MD5.

can I see 
show running <<-

also check this link 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haf5cIwEBRU

The original post is somewhat ambiguous about whether the command was entered in privileged mode or in config mode. I believe that the description of the behavior (password cisco does not work) makes it clear that the command was entered in config mode.

I believe that @David Ruess has correctly identified the issue that entering enable secret 5 IOS will assume that the next data is an encrypted version of the password but what was entered was the clear text password.

The suggestion to try  enable secret cisco is a good one. But to be able to do that the original poster needs to be in config mode. And currently they are locked out from privilege mode (and so are also locked out of config mode). I believe that password recovery must be done to be able to solve this issue.

HTH

Rick

And after the correct usage to configure this password is found, please also stop using passwords hashed with MD5 and move to SHA256/SCRYPT what is a best practice:

IOS(config)#enable algorithm-type sha256 secret SuperSecurePassword
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card