cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error in authentication on 3560 switch

Chad Kleeman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, forgive the rudimentary question, but here is the issue I am facing. 

I just got a brand new switch and was configuring this and somehow I am not able to get into this via telnet or console.  I was hoping to get into ROMMON mode and just redo the config but I don't seem to be able to get this to come up.  I have used control break using putty as the terminal but I don't seem to get anywhere like I have doing this on other Cisco devices.  Any ideas or suggestions on how to get this back so I can just redo the config on it?                   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

m.kafka
Level 4
Level 4

reboot the switch while holding the mode button (a few swconds, until the status light is steady)

release the mode button, you should see a promtk "switch>" - if not repeat the power cycle and hold the mode button longer than before.

enter: flash_init

enter: rename flash:config.text flash:config.old

(Do not use line editing commands like delete, cursor right or left etc...

you can easily mess up the filename - get it right the first time or better power-cycle again)

reboot again normally... you should see after a while the autoinstall-script "do you want to configure..." , quit the auto-install ("N" or "crtl-Z")

with the command  "more flash:config.old" you can read the old startup config and use it as a base for your new (corrected) configuration.

if not sure, search cisco.com for password recovery ws-c3560

rgds, MiKa

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

m.kafka
Level 4
Level 4

reboot the switch while holding the mode button (a few swconds, until the status light is steady)

release the mode button, you should see a promtk "switch>" - if not repeat the power cycle and hold the mode button longer than before.

enter: flash_init

enter: rename flash:config.text flash:config.old

(Do not use line editing commands like delete, cursor right or left etc...

you can easily mess up the filename - get it right the first time or better power-cycle again)

reboot again normally... you should see after a while the autoinstall-script "do you want to configure..." , quit the auto-install ("N" or "crtl-Z")

with the command  "more flash:config.old" you can read the old startup config and use it as a base for your new (corrected) configuration.

if not sure, search cisco.com for password recovery ws-c3560

rgds, MiKa

That was it.  Thanks...I figured it had to be something simple.  Appreciate the quick response. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card