cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error in authentication

sawsan.mohamed
Level 1
Level 1

i configuerd a cisco switch with Enable secret password, but the following error accured when i tried to log into the switch:

User Access Verification

Username: Cisco

Password:

Cisco>en

% Error in authentication.

Cisco>

Cisco>en

% Error in authentication.

what could cause this problem?

8 Replies 8

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Did u configure the local authenticaton or AAA authentication.If its AAA u need to use the username and password which u deifned while creating u r account in AAA Server.

If its local then u have to use the local enable secret password.

Thanks

Mahmood

the problem is that it doesn't give me an option to enter the password, as soon as i type en, the error is displayed. as shown in the above example

HI

Can u verify if u key board is working properly i guess some keys may be not working properly.

Thanks

Mahmood

yes it's working properly, as i configuered other devices, and there was no problem at all!

haa33110
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, all!

Did you copy and paste the configuration from terminal?

If I were you, I would do Password Recovery.

But this is my head trip!

It sounds to me like there is some issue with how the switch was configured. Perhaps Sawsan can provide some details about how the switch was configured. It sounds like the switch starts to authenticate for enable and then is not able to complete whatever is configured (perhaps it is configured to authenticate enable via tacacs with no backup method and the tacacs server is not reachable). If we knew more detail we might be able to give metter answers. It might also be helpful to know when you type enable is the error response immediate or is there a small delay before the error is given?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks for the replies, I already solved the problem. i just want to know why this happened?

rburts:

i don't think the problem was with tacacs, as i configured other switch with the same configuration. what i noticed is the password, it was consisting of two words with space between them, might that be the reason for that error? i did a password recovery and only changed the password and it worked.

I am non-Mr. rburts. If you read Commmand Reference, you will really understand the enable password commmand.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card