cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error in configuring port security on putty

brian25
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, i am new to cisco technology. i am try to configure port security on a cisco switch sg250 using putty. But i keep getting an error of "% Wrong number of parameters or invalid range, size or characters entered" when i entered "switchport port-security". Below is the command i entered

configure terminal (success)
interface gi7 (success)
switchport mode access (success)
switchport port-security (error) % Wrong number of parameters or invalid range, size or characters entered

Can anyone help me with this.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marioiram
Level 1
Level 1
7 Replies 7

Hi Brian, 

try below commands,

Switch(config)#interface fa0/1
Switch(config-if)#switchport port-security

or 

Use the switchport port-security mac-address command to define the MAC address that you want to allow.

regards,

sathish

Hello sir, thank you for your response. i already tried this and still the same result. Thanks

marioiram
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Brian

Not sure if you can do that on a SG250 via CLI but take a look at this article, I think it will help you.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-small-business-200-series-managed-switches/smb85-port-security-configuration-on-the-200-300-series-managed-sw.html

HTH

Thank you sir. i used this and it works.

Is there a way to do this in the command line? 

Hello,

from the command line, the commands are:

port security [forward | discard | discard-shutdown] [trap seconds]
no port security

port security mode {max-addresses | lock | secure permanent | secure delete-on-reset}
no port security mode

Check page 124 of the CLI Guide linked below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/250_/2_4_5/cli_guide/cli_sx250_2_4_5.pdf

Thank so much 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card