cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error Loading Flash...

canerkoksal
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys, Just Passed my CCENT Today ( Off Topic , But im so Proud)

I Bought 3 Cisco 3560's and i deleted the flash on one of them ...

However even before that when it had an ios in boot it would error ..... .bin is not found    (No such file or directory)

and then boot into the right one.

What i am trying to figure  out is where the hell this thing is as it's not in the flash.

i thought .bin files are always in flash...

Anyway not causing any problems but it is just annoying to see an error and can't figure out where this thing is, can the switch be set to auto boot this image and can't find it anymore??

Used Xmodem with teraterm to copy a new ios.

Guess i should mention it still does the error file or directory not found.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Just Pasted my CCENT Today

Hopefully, you passed it, not pasted it - that wouldn't be something to be proud about :-) Congratulations - that's a perfect start!

Regarding the messages you are seeing on the switches - I believe that it is a remainder of older configuration. These switches can be told to boot a specific IOS in their FLASH, and they rememer this setting in a separate environment variable that is not erased along with other configuration. If that particular IOS is deleted, the switch will display an error message during the boot, and will proceed with booting the first IOS it finds in the FLASH anyway. That would explain the message you are seeing. It is annoying but harmless.

If you want to get rid of it, first take note of the exact name and path of your current IOS image in the FLASH, and then in the global configuration mode, enter the following command:

boot system flash:/path/to/full-IOS-name.bin

Assuming that your IOS is placed directly in the FLASH in the root directory, the command would be, for example:

boot system flash:/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-52.SE.bin

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Just Pasted my CCENT Today

Hopefully, you passed it, not pasted it - that wouldn't be something to be proud about :-) Congratulations - that's a perfect start!

Regarding the messages you are seeing on the switches - I believe that it is a remainder of older configuration. These switches can be told to boot a specific IOS in their FLASH, and they rememer this setting in a separate environment variable that is not erased along with other configuration. If that particular IOS is deleted, the switch will display an error message during the boot, and will proceed with booting the first IOS it finds in the FLASH anyway. That would explain the message you are seeing. It is annoying but harmless.

If you want to get rid of it, first take note of the exact name and path of your current IOS image in the FLASH, and then in the global configuration mode, enter the following command:

boot system flash:/path/to/full-IOS-name.bin

Assuming that your IOS is placed directly in the FLASH in the root directory, the command would be, for example:

boot system flash:/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-52.SE.bin

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter, Thanks for the answer and finding my mistake definitely passed my exam, not Pasted it :)

I am having Trouble selecting your answer as correct for some reason , getting the message access denied...

Sorry, Will Try later !

Also do you happen to know how you can follow, a topic/discussion you have created or get back to it easily?

The notification tab doesn't show activity after clicking it once, Searching my topic title exactly didn't bring up my topic :(

Makes it near impossible without searching history.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card