Views
Helpful
Replies

Error opening tftp (Timed out)

Yadhu Tony
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I installed a new router and trying to backup the initial configuration to our tftp server. But getting the error " %Error opening tftp://172.17.0.39/corporate-confg (Timed out)"

I can ping the tftp server from router. There is no firewall in between router and tftp server. Other network devices in the same subnet can upload / download from tftp server. Only this router can't use the tftp. I tried to install a seperate tftp server and tried but no hope with the freshly installed router. Router running config is attached. Please help me.

Regards,
Tony

Regards,
Tony

http://yadhutony.blogspot.com
112 Replies 112

That worked for me as well even though before Denali it worked without this command. An explanation from Cisco would be wonderful; why make it simple when you can make it hard huh?

uzeyiryenilmez
Level 1
Level 1

tftp time out error and one of solutions, according to Microsoft the tftp server no longer supported by Windows 10 due to security policies. So I have figured out the solution by ubuntu tftp server service

VHarripersad
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Not of the above worked for me after trying all the recommendations. This however worked.

1. Uninstall SolarWinds TFTP

2. Use Windows TFTP Server (Control Panel, Turn on Features and select TFTP Client). Then on the start menu search for TFTP Server.

3. Copy IOS into the Windows TFTP Server Folder path C:\ProgramData\WinAgents\TFTP Server 4\TFTPRoot\

4. Worked perfectly

mdumitre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the local workstation firewall or the SolarWinds TFTP software. I'm running the latest SolarWinds TFTP software on my PC with no local firewall and I can replicate this problem on my network on various Cisco 3650 switches (WS-3650-12X48UQ) that are part of a stack or standalone. So, I'm able to successfully upload the new IOS XE on some units and then some where I can't. See below:

Accessing tftp://172.20.90.47/cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.09.SPA.bin...
Loading cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.09.SPA.bin from 172.20.90.47 (via Vlan200): !.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!... [timed out]

%Error reading tftp://172.20.90.47/cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.09.SPA.bin (Connection timed out)

I discovered that the switches that stop receiving TFTP IOS XE, (bin file extension in particular), will not work after they fail (obviously) or if you retry the CLI command until the switch is rebooted. If you want test this while the switch refuses to upload the IOS XE .bin file, try copying the running-config to the TFTP server and you will see that it works and it will never fail. This proves not to be a TFTP communication issue on ether the workstation nor the switch. But the issue is still on the switch side. Once the 3650 is rebooted, the upload will work just fine and then will complete without any problems (and without restarting the PC or TFTP services). I'm afraid this is a bug in the cisco software/services or the way the switch is reading/uploading the software into the flash memory. The irony is that the switch starts uploading the .bin file just fine, but then it stops receiving it after a while and then it refuses to work (for .bin files only) until the switch is rebooted. All other TFTP files needed to be transferred (config file types, vlan.dat etc...) will work just fine at all time. Very strange but the reboot does the trick for these switches. I wish there was a CLI command that could restart TFTP services on these switches. I hope this helps!

Salah_IT_Nerd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Tony,

I've faced the same issue with all Cisco devices I connected to my PC, the pins work fine, but I receive an error message.

In my case, that was due to the windows firewall, so I solved the problem after watching a YouTube video from Nick --URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsPtoDxn01I --

When trying to copy files from a Cisco router or switch to a TFTP server running on windows, you might receive an error opening tftp...... This video shows you how to create the appropriate Windows firewall rule to fix the error. Twitter: https://twitter.com/c_users_nick

cgm
Level 1
Level 1

Well, landed here for a simmilar issue. Nobody has mentioned that a Cat8kv (or CSR1000v I guess) in SDWAN mode will not do TFTP on a non management VRF, it seems.

La solución es: apagar el servicio de TFTP de windows y solo dejar corriendo el servicio de TFTP de la aplicación que hace de TFTP Server

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card