Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel & Backup Interfaces

Hossein Lotfi
Level 1
Level 1

hi every body ..

i have a layer 3 etherchannel with 2 port on a 3560 switch and the other side of channel is the vlan interface of a layer 2 switch with 2 access interface and its working well !

so i wanna send all traffic on the first link of channel and when it goes down , all traffic dynamically send over the second link of that channel , because the second one is the worst link !

i think the "Backup Interface" may be a good solution !

in the other word , is this solution work pretty on Etherchannel ?

can any body help me ?

thank you all ....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You may play with lacp max-bundle 1 and lacp port-priority commands

and assign the lower priority to the port which should always be the member of the port-channel.

But I doubt this is available with the 3750/2960, I did see this available on 10k.

- HTH

Rahul

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

daniel.rodrig
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm not sure I understood well your setup, but from what I see, you can remove the port channel and simply run flex links?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swflink.html

Behaves "almost" like the backup interfaces command you mention. But again, I'm not sure about how you have all this setup and it may not be the solution.

Regards.

CCNP

thank you Daniel !

yes , i know this is an unuasual solution that i want

i should use this layer 3 etherchannel because after that i wanna set a EIGRP neighborship on it !

i wanna just this :

can i set the "backup interface" in this layer 3 etherchannel or some solution like this ?

anyway thank you so much

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

In the ether channel traffic is automatically distributed there are ways to change this i.e.bases on src mac,src IP etc.But u cannot reserve the link for not forwarding any traffic this defeats the purpose of having ether channel.

I suggest the back interface will be a good way to go and btw for ether channel all the interface characteristics should match.

Thanks

hi Mahmood !

thank you too ...

yes your seem right , but our IOS version does not support the "backup interface" solution

thank you dear !

Hi,

You may play with lacp max-bundle 1 and lacp port-priority commands

and assign the lower priority to the port which should always be the member of the port-channel.

But I doubt this is available with the 3750/2960, I did see this available on 10k.

- HTH

Rahul

Hi my freind

yes thats a good idea !

my IOS supports this command

i try it and will back here to saying the result !

thak you !

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card