Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel on 10G Copper and Fiber

farhan.engr
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team,

One of our clients is planning to deploy CAT-7 Copper (10G) and OM3 Fiber (10G) for backbone connectivity. They're planning to configure a Etherchannel using both the connections together. Fiber will be terminated on an SFP and Copper on an Ethernet Port. I need to know if this is possible? If yes, how this can be achieved using Cisco Switches? Can you help me with the configuration for this also? Once deployed what is the procedure to test such a link?

I will be waiting for your kind reply.

Regards,

Farhan.

2 Replies 2

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

Sure, 10GBASE-T and 10GBASE-SR are both physical standards, they both pass the same layer 2 Ethernet traffic over them. The compatibility requirements for port-channeling do not specify that the media must be identical, just speed (among other things not relevant to your question) You would configure the port channel just like any other, go into all of the physical interfaces and assign them to a group, with whatever mode you desire. Then go into the group interface, and configure the link for whatever mode of operation you want.

Edit: The document I linked has pretty much all the info you are looking for, let me know if you have any specific issues.

hello
I would personally configure the etherchannel a different way.

configure the physical interfaces the same -be it
switched/routed/access

apply the channel-group and let the router/switch automatically create the port-channel

res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card