cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EtherChannel Question?!?

matthew.aiken
Level 1
Level 1

I was hoping someone can help me with an EtherChannel scenario.  If you have an L2 Gigabit EtherChannel that is going across a provider network (provider tunnels EtherChannel) and each gig port (two ports in this scenario) is getting policed to 100Mbps; is there a way to push traffic through the other link once 100Mbps is reached on one link?

From what I have found this is not possible and you could either police at 100Mbps on your individual interfaces or 200Mbps on your aggregate interface and just drop the traffic yourself.  I was hoping there was a way to let the load-balancing hashing algorithm know that there is a limitation and to use the other interface for new sessions once it hits a configured limit... is this possible???

Thanks for any feedback!

2 Replies 2

That's not possible. EtherChannels use a calculation that is purly based on the MAC/IP-header of the packet. The load on the link is not used there in any way. Depending on your topology (you had to change to a L3-link) you could perhaps use Equal cost load sharing.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Dear Matthew,

I know the answer is a bit out of place, but is it neccesary to form an etherchannel between you and the service provider. If the 2 links would be independent, I could provide with a solution that could meet EXACT requirement specified above.

HINT: PFR

Rustom Billimoria

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card