cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel with modules performing different load balancing mechanism.

k.vlachoulis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to ask if someone has ever configured an etherchannel that interfaces resides on different cards with different per module load balancing mechanism. We are planning to have such a case as we will implement MGSCP solution that requires for egress traffic per source ip load balance and for ingress per destination ip load balance. The existing devices hold an etherchannel that the interfaces that it bundles are connected to different modules.

7600-1 module 1 int g1/1 ------7600-2 module 1 int g1/1

7600-1 module 3 int g3/1 ------7600-2 module 3 int g3/1

We are planning to change the load balancing mechanism on module 1 per source ip and for module 3 per destination ip. Will this change result something bad to the existing operation of the port-channel? The only thing that i can think is some underutilized links.

BR

Kanellos

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Kanellos,

I do not have any first-hand experience with this setup. Are you sure that your 7600 actually allows you to set different load balancing methods for each card individually? Recalling the way it works on 3750 Catalysts, if you configure a particular load balancing method, it influences the entire switch stack. Have you actually tried implementing this kind of setup?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

The per module load balance can be achieved if each module has its own DFC card.

Best Regards

Kanellos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: