cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannels and Passive Interfaces in EIGRP configurations

Kwaku Paintsil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I was just wondering, if I am configuring EIGRP on Layer 3 switches and I want to make passive interfaces for my exit interfaces to my Private Network(Layer 2 Switches). Am I able to add interfaces which I have configured as Etherchannels to the passive interfaces?

8 Replies 8

Hello,

do you have a layer 3 port channel to your home network ? Hello packets are sent on layer 3 interfaces only as far as I recall. If the port channel is L3, you can make it passive.

Thank you @Georg Pauwen  for your response 

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Kwaku Paintsil ,

only the port-channel interface if configured for L3 operation

int port-channel 1

no switchport

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

in this case the port-channel 1 can be made passive under the router eigrp configuration you don't need to configure passive for the member links. From the point of view of EIGRP  / IP routing the port-channel is  a single logical link.

if your port channel is configured as a L2 802.1Q trunk carrying several VLANs it is like it does not exist for EIGRP and you should passive the SVI interfaces of user facing VLANs.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you @Giuseppe Larosa  yes my port channel has been configured as a trunk for carrying vlans. This being the case I will configure the SVI interfaces of the user facing the vlans. 

Hello @Kwaku Paintsil ,

your understanding is correct being the port-channel a L2 trunk the EIGRP passive interface can be configured for each SVI associated to each VLAN allowed on the trunk where only end user devices are connected.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this is Layer 2 Port-channel you not required to do, you need to only do passive-interface on Layer 3 SVI which is passing inside Port-channel.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

@Kwaku Paintsil wrote:

Hi, I was just wondering, if I am configuring EIGRP on Layer 3 switches and I want to make passive interfaces for my exit interfaces to my Private Network(Layer 2 Switches). 

EIGRP is a Layer 3 routing protocol so it wont run on layer 2 switch interconnected trunks, So if your portchannels connectiing to your lan switches are all layer 2 then eigrp and passive interfaces are not applicable.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Although already correctly answered by the other posters, just to be clear, you would only have a "passive" EIGRP setting for the interface with an IP.  Shouldn't matter what the underlying "physical" interface(s) is/are.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card