Views
Helpful
Replies

Experience configuring VSS 6880-X-LE management port

rpatnaik_slf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,
I've recently gotten access to a VSS in my lab environment. I have enabled a VSS domain and L3 MEC upstream and MEC to my 6800-IA.  What I wanted to know is the value of on board management switch. If I have both SUP's consoled with a separate always reachable console server what would be the benefit to enabling the management port on the SUP.

I enabled it and routed it within the management VRF to my management VLAN.  However, it seems that the management port is not usuable on the hot-standby switch.  At present, if I have a loopback 0 assigned to the VSS I don't see the point to using the management port.  If I could exclude the management port in the VSS perhaps there is some value.

What are your thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tprivett
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The management interface in a VSS is much like the console, as you can only connect, and interact, with the active supervisor.

The configuration you have for your management interface applies to whichever supervisor is active, and in the event of a failover the 'new' active will respond the single ip address configured. With that being said you will need to ensure that both chassis have their management interfaces connected so that either is accessible.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

tprivett
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The management interface in a VSS is much like the console, as you can only connect, and interact, with the active supervisor.

The configuration you have for your management interface applies to whichever supervisor is active, and in the event of a failover the 'new' active will respond the single ip address configured. With that being said you will need to ensure that both chassis have their management interfaces connected so that either is accessible.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card