cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extended Cable runs

joshhboss
Level 1
Level 1

I am just curious since i do use mainly cisco 2960s even for my camera networks, and lately my boss has been trying to buy these dumb switches sold by like HikVision that are supposed to do 800 ft with poe, and I just dont want to believe these cheesey switches can do something that my 2960s cant. Is there something that can be done to the port config in order to have the data runs go further. this is only for cameras so i do not need more then 10 megs. 

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The cable distance standard does not come from the switch manufacturers but rather from TIA (Telecommunications Industry Association).

So, Cisco or any other vendors all follow the same standard.

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well, if the cheesey switches are pushing port voltages above standard specs, I would expect you could extend beyond 100 meters.

To obtain something like 800 ft, though, first you would need great cable. Second, you'll likely also need to bump the Ethernet speed down.  Using a combination of the two, you should be to extend the distance.

With a former employer, we did have one instance of an Ethernet link much longer than specs allowed.  It was running at 10 Mbps using Cat 5 or possible Cat 6 cable.  It worked, but lots of errors on the link too.

Regarding PoE, unsure how that will work out.  Again, if your switch's PoE supports more than the original PoE of 15W, but your cameras only need 15W, that might allow extended distance too.

Right now on my test bench i have a box of cable that is 746 feet that is powering a camera and has been for the past 12 hours.. what is strange is that when i run a tdr test on the cable it only shows up as

Interface Speed Local pair Pair length        Remote pair Pair status
--------- ----- ---------- ------------------ ----------- --------------------
Gi1/0/14  100M  Pair A     0    +/- 0  meters N/A         Normal
                Pair B     0    +/- 0  meters N/A         Normal
                Pair C     3    +/- 0  meters N/A         Normal
                Pair D     3    +/- 0  meters N/A         Normal

and i actually could never get the camera to connect with speed 10 on the interface.. and this switch is only 15 W.

BigRedFestival-2.154#sh power inl pol | e off

Module   Available     Used     Remaining
          (Watts)     (Watts)    (Watts)
------   ---------   --------   ---------
1           740.0       15.4       724.6
          State  State      Police     Police     Power  Power
--------- ------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ------ -----
Gi1/0/14  auto   on         none       n/a        n/a    1.9
--------- ------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ------ -----
Totals:                                                  1.9

BigRedFestival-2.154#

ive heard of this gamechanger cable that is 22 gauge that is supposed to do wonders for long runs. wonder if anything has tried it . 

https://paigedatacom.com/gamechanger

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would go and advise the boss, did he really want sleepless nights to install the cheesy switch, that too for cameras which required monitor the environment for safety and security reason, and if that camera, not available due to non-standard switch install? how is the support model work here?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PoE can support up to 100 metres only. Ethernet can support up to 100 metres.  
If internet exceeds 100 metres, there is a fair chance the speed will drop to 10 Mbps and this speed will not be suitable for CCTV in a lot of cases.

I have seen camera deployments where the vendor knows the runs (plural) exceeds 100 metres.  So what they did was install a power injector halfway through the run.  

The cameras require 90 watts (PTZ) and the injectors they've supplied was 60 watts (cheaper that 90 watt injector).  The switch can support up to 60 watts.  Their "logic" is the camera will take the power feed from the switch and the injector provides the rest.  

No idea where they got that idea from but it sure failed spectacularly.  

It was really "fun" to watch the vendor scrounging for a technical documentation to prove their deployment is feasible.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card