cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fast Ethernet Interface problem

law_nwezza
Level 1
Level 1

is there any way i can fix the problem with my fa0/1. show int command tells me that the interface is up and line protocol is down. any suggestions as to the cause of the problem.

5 Replies 5

Hello,

what do you have connected to the interface ? ´Line Protocol Down´ usually means that the interface does not have anything (recognizable) connected. Check your speed and duplex settings, and try to replace the cable connecting to your FastEthernet0/1.

Regards,

GP

hamedmohd
Level 1
Level 1

Replace your cable and try

goodluck

I have done that..but no success. i tried the cables on other devices and they are working fine

When the interface shows interface up but line protocol down that indicates that the interface is not receiving keepalives and usually is related to having no link on the interface. I have seen several things that can produce this symptom. Using a cross over cable where a straight through is needed or straight through where a cross over is needed can produce these symptoms. The fact that you tried the cable on other devices would seem to eliminate this (but you would need to be sure that it was the same kind of connection where you tried the cable - router to switch or router to router).

I have seen this kind of symptom where one end of the connection was configured at 100 and the other end was configured at 10. What is the router connecting to?

It might help if you would post the configuratin of the router interface. Also details of what it connects to and how that is configured might help.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Check, if all pins of interface is in order

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card