cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber/Copper Port Channel Concerns ?

carl.nohrden
Level 1
Level 1

I have (2)6509's with a Sup720 and a new 6748-TX blade. The Sup720 has SFP Gig ports. The two switches reside within 5 feet of each other.

I had already connected the two 6509's together using one of the SFP ports in each switch. I would like to migrate this connection from the SFP port on the Sup720 to the Copper Gig TX port on the 6748-TX.

My question is: Is it possible for me to create a port channel with the existing fiber connection together with the new copper connection? Are there any concerns with doing this?

Thank you.

1 Reply 1

waelalghonimy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You are right. You can create a channel with ports in different modules. Moreover, it is a good practice to create critical channels ? like that you have ? through ports not on the same module. In this case if a module will go down the link will not be lost. The only concern is the speed and duplex matching between channel ends. If you have a redundant sup in both switches you can create a channel and add a port from each sup to it and if not you can keep the sup link and combined another port (in any Gig modules) to it in a single channel.

Thanks

Wael

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card