Views
Helpful
Replies

Fibre Connection to Switch

JAYESH RAMAIYA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have picked up a project started by someone else. 

Basically we have a new fibre ST connection that has just been installed for extension in the office building. This is connected by an ST connection but not connected to our switch.

I need to find a 1/2 metre fibre cable with an ST connection at one end a GIG port connection at the other so that it can fit into our switch. Can I purchace these ready made?

Thanks                     

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

when you say "at one end a GIG port connection"  what type of fiber interface (optic) does the switch have?

Switches usually have SC or LC type optics. Which one do you have?

HTH

Hi Reza

Thanks for your reply. I have a 2960 48 port switch that needs to connection via fibre optec. I am hoping to connect one of the gig ports to a fibre optec cable so am presuming this will be an LC connection at one end but need an ST connection at the other end.  .

Regards

Hi,

Older 2960s use SC type optics. The newer models used LC  What is the switch model?

HTH

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

No matter what type of connector is on both ends, you can buy cables with the right ends on them.  You can also use a converter coupler (but will experience slight db loss with this).

Quick google search found this:

http://www.showmecables.com/Category/Fiber-Optic-Patch-Cables.aspx?gclid=CM6AtuOwiLMCFaaDQgodHVgADg

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card