cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower and VLAN to Cisco 2960 Compact switch

errMsg
Level 1
Level 1

I have a firepower 1010 with port 0/8 split into 2 sub interfaces/vlans that go to a ubiquit ac access point for 2 wireless networks.

This setup works BUT i want to use my switch to pass this vlan traffic.

I want to have a port on the firewall that carrys my VLAN 1 from port 2 and vlan 2 & 3 from port 8.

So I connected port 2 from the firepower to a trunk port on the switch but none of the vlan traffic carries over.  what could i be missing?

5 Replies 5

pieterh
VIP
VIP

VLANs work on Layer-2 of the OSI network design
a firewall is not a switch, unless in passtrru mode, it works on TCP/IP which is Layer-3
-> the firewall will not pass VLAN 2 & 3 from port-8 to port 2.

so it will not be sufficient to connect only port-2 and expect all vlans to pass over the switch

- you need both port-2 for vlan-1 AND port-8 for vlan 2 &3 connected to the switch
   the switch port connected to port-8 needs to be a trunk
   the switch port connected to port-2 need to match with trunk or access on the firewall
- and connect the access-point to another trunk port on the switch

this the switch will transport vlan 2 and 3 will from the AP to the firewall

If the firewall is not a switch... why can I create 2 sub-interface's/VLAN's on the firewalls interface and pass both vlans directly into the Ubiquiti access point and it work fine?

Im using the FMC to manage the firewall

>>> why can I create 2 sub-interface's/VLAN's on the firewalls interface and pass both vlans <<<

that is because the firewall IS dot1q (vlan tagging) aware

>>> If the firewall is not a switch... <<<
why do you question this? a switch is a switch a router is a router and a firewall is a firewall.
though routing can be enabled on a switch nowadays and a firewall has limited routing functions.
but they still are different devices with each its own properties.
on a switch you do NOT configure subinterfaces on a port carrying multiple vlans like you do on a router or a firewall.

on a firewall traffic between interfaces/subinterfaces depends on rules, 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card