Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firmware 16.3.8 DHCP Problem

I have a switch 3650 with firmware 16.3.8 but the switch can't get an IP address from the DHCP server. therefore the Auto Deployment doesn't work. is this a firmware bug?

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
can you see the DHCP packet being dropped in debug or wireshark confirming it definitely the switch dropping the offer ?

Theres no listed bug for that currently in the release notes but you could run the show tech through the cli analyzer to see if it picks it up or TAC it to get a bug id if your certain its a bug

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/16-3/release_notes/ol-16-3-3650.html

Debug show me

Unknown dhcp problem... no allocation possible

There is a similar bug output , the id below , but your software version is not listed in it . does not mean you ahve not hit it though , says no workaround too
You could just try a different image if you don't want to run the show tech and confirm

DHCP error log - "%Unknown DHCP problem.. No allocation possible"
CSCtw95189

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtw95189/?rfs=iqvred

switched56
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I know I'm raising this from the dead, but I'm experiencing the same issue with both ISP interfaces on my ISR 4451X.  Both are DHCP enabled, and both will at certain points, with random frequency, stop acquiring an IPv4 address from the provider.  The only "fix" I have found for the code I am running, which is Fiji - Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.09.08, is to default the interface config and add the commands in this order, one at a time.

conf t
default interface gig x/y/z
(I usually wait a few seconds)
!
int gig x/y/z
ip address dhcp
no shut
!
(I usually wait for a few seconds and then it will grab an IP)
!
ip nat outside
!

This has always "fixed" the issue for me. until it happens again. It's mega annoying, but it's the only workaround I've found. I'm using traditional licensing, and am at the max code before I'd need to convert to Smart licensing.  I'm sure the conversion would be fine, but I'm just not ready to commit to that yet.

From my situation, the issue revolves around the ip nat outside function.  As to why, how, when... Still waiting for a fix.  I love this router and it works perfectly for my home and lab network, and the upgrade to the 8200/8300 platform (which I believe also is listed as an affected platform for this bug) is cost prohibitive for me.

Maybe this will help someone who is in the same or similar situation.

Make new post please it better 

MHM

Hello
Whats the rtr connected too?
Can you post the cfg of the rtr please?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card