Views
Helpful
Replies

Flapping in Core switch

mmarie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am getting following flapping error in Cisco 6509 switch at two VLANs only as they for wifi devices

%MAC_MOVE-SW1_SP-4-NOTIF: Host 80d2.1d95.0bcf in vlan 150 is flapping between port Gi2/3/11 and port Gi2/3/3

%MAC_MOVE-SW1_SP-4-NOTIF: Host 80d2.1d99.0057 in vlan 160 is flapping between port Gi2/3/11and port Gi2/3/4

What could be the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Are the switchports connected to Access Points which drop clients onto the local network?

This looks like clients roaming between Access Points whilst on the same SSID.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi,
The coreswitch connected to Edge switches 2960 and the Edges connected to Access Points.
Yes the clients roaming between access point with the same SSID, so there is any misconfiguration in Coreswitch, edge switches or access points?

Thank you

If the Access Points are placing clients straight onto the local network as opposed to being tunneled back to a WLC via CAPWAP then seeing these MAC flaps should be considered normal and just cosmetic messages.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi again,

So it's normal behavior? or should i check if there is any misconfiguration?

The AP's is Altai

Thank you

Hello again,

I don't know anything about Altai APs and how they are configured in your network, but the MAC flap on a wireless VLAN is a common symptom of a roaming client. As I said before it is not something to be worried about, unless the device users are complaining about service degradation occurring at the time of MAC flap.

cheers,

Seb.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: