cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flapping interfaces

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

I have flapping mac address in layer 2 ring topology...Is there any easy and straight forward way to determine who is triggering this  mac address..thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not really.  You need to trace the mac address and figure out what switch the device is connect it to.  Is it coming from a server, PC, etc...?  If it is from a server, is NIC teaming configured on the server?  Need to know in what vlan the  MAC is flapping.  Since it is a layer-2 environment, you also need to make sure there is no loop in your network.

HTH

View solution in original post

Is there any easy and straight forward way to determine who is triggering this  mac address

If you have the MAC address you can check WHAT the device is using Coffer.

Next, I shut down the redundant link and trace where the MAC address is "living".  Then I'd take a metal pole to the owner of the device and bash his/her head to a pulp. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not really.  You need to trace the mac address and figure out what switch the device is connect it to.  Is it coming from a server, PC, etc...?  If it is from a server, is NIC teaming configured on the server?  Need to know in what vlan the  MAC is flapping.  Since it is a layer-2 environment, you also need to make sure there is no loop in your network.

HTH

Hmm...thats what i suspected..thanks

Is there any easy and straight forward way to determine who is triggering this  mac address

If you have the MAC address you can check WHAT the device is using Coffer.

Next, I shut down the redundant link and trace where the MAC address is "living".  Then I'd take a metal pole to the owner of the device and bash his/her head to a pulp. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the ratings.

NOTE:  In my last post, the last sentence is meant as a joke and not typically a solution.

Good,you told me early...I was looking for a metal pole

On a serious note,that Coffer thing is helpful..thanks.

I have MAC flapping issue in my network due to NIC teaming configured on the server.

I found the issue and rectified because of this Mr.Reza Sharifi update.

Thank you Mr.Reza Sharifi for sharing your knowledge.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card