cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

force ROMOM boot

charris01101
Level 1
Level 1

How do you force a Cisco 4431 router to boot to ROMMON so a password recovery can be attempted? I only have access to the console but can't log in because of the password. Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The ISR 4K's flash has been moved inside so it's no longer that easy to remove them (and replace them with non-Cisco branded memory).
The only way to break into ROMmon is to use the Ctrl+Break combo during the initial phase of the boot-up.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Maybe I'm missing something if I am I apologize, but how do I change the register so it will boot to ROMOM if I can't log in. I remember on the 2900 series I had to remove the compact flash but for the 4000 series says "To get to ROMMON, set the confreg to not auto boot (0x0 if your baud rate is 9600), and then reload the box."Can I do this at the username/password prompt? Again, I apologize for my ignorance.

The ISR 4K's flash has been moved inside so it's no longer that easy to remove them (and replace them with non-Cisco branded memory).
The only way to break into ROMmon is to use the Ctrl+Break combo during the initial phase of the boot-up.

I am in the same situation, where you able to figure this out?

Create a new thread so we can all have a look.

I created ISR 4221 Password Recovery thread.

Thanks!!

Khorunzhyi
Level 1
Level 1

Ctrl+break is Ctrl+C

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card