cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Address Fields

Ballistics
Level 1
Level 1

In a Frame Address Field, you get the destination and source MAC addresses. But does the frame address field in a frame structure also include source and destination IP addresses? (I am referring to layer 2 of the OSI model)

4 Replies 4

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The layer 2 frame does not have any IP addresses within it. Specifically, the Ethernet frame only has source and destination MAC addresses.

Paresh

PS> Pls do remember to rate posts

Thank you for confirming this. I was doing some practice questions for my CCNA course and a question asked me to select the components within the frame fields. I did not select "destination IP address" because I knew logical addresses are not in the frame. But when it marked my answer, it said I got the question wrong because the destination IP address is in the frame! This confused me so I had to clarify here. Glad I was correct after all and I shall inform them.

Thanks.

I suppose it would boil down to the phrasing of the question.

As Kamal mentioned, the L2 Frame contains an L3 packet, which DOES contain IP source/destination addresses.

If the question specifically asks about the frame header, then no, there's no IP info (other than the field that says that frame has an IP packet versus an IPX or DECNet packet)

If it asks whether a frame has / can contain IP address info ... well, yeah, it can.

Definately lame, but I'll bet many of us have seen questions this lame or lamer on the real tests.

Good Luck

Scott

kamal-learn
Level 4
Level 4

hi

as stated by paresh, i would like to add that ip addresses are layer 3, whitch we find them in packets (the data unit of layer 3) , that packet when it hits the layer 2 of the osi model it becomes the payload of what we call a frame (the data unit of layer 2) that indeed has a header that contains layer 2 address such as MAC addresses for ethernet or DLCI for frame relay..

HTH

DO rate if it does clarify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card