cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Free basic version of Cisco IOS?

HugoCoppejans
Level 1
Level 1

We are considering buying a couple of C1000-24T-4X-L routers for SSH and iDRAC for all our servers. For various reasons, we need to buy dedicated hardware for this and cannot add it to our main network switches running NX-OS.

The C1000 series routers use Cisco IOS, but I am not familiar with IOS licensing. Does the C1000-24T-4X-L come with a free basic version of IOS that only supports basic functionality? Do I need to use Smart Licensing for IOS, or can I install an older version of IOS that does not require Smart Licensing?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This switch comes with the IOS. So, you can use all the basic functionality and whatever else the IOS supports, and no need for licensing.

HTH

View solution in original post

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

The switch comes with 2 perpetual licenses - DNA-essentials and DNA-advantage, that can be activated using the license boot <license-name> configuration commands. The usage for this licenses once activated will be tracked through Cisco Smart Licensing Server.

If you don't want or need to activate the licenses, you can use the switch with the features provided by IOS like @Reza Sharifi suggested in the previous post.

Hope this helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This switch comes with the IOS. So, you can use all the basic functionality and whatever else the IOS supports, and no need for licensing.

HTH

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

The switch comes with 2 perpetual licenses - DNA-essentials and DNA-advantage, that can be activated using the license boot <license-name> configuration commands. The usage for this licenses once activated will be tracked through Cisco Smart Licensing Server.

If you don't want or need to activate the licenses, you can use the switch with the features provided by IOS like @Reza Sharifi suggested in the previous post.

Hope this helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Enhanced Limited Lifetime Hardware Warranty is included in every Catalyst 1000 purchased.

IOS download and TAC support are options that can be purchased.  

Thankfully, Catalyst 1000 does not need (nor require) Cisco Smart License.  

HugoCoppejans
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for all the responses, I appreciate the help. Its sometimes hard to just find these basic facts from all the other information!

Laugh, ain't that the truth!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card